Domestic Violence Lawyers in Marietta, GA
Assertive Domestic Abuse Defense in Peachtree City
At John B. Miller & Associates, P.C., we understand the seriousness of a domestic violence charge. That is why our team works methodically to gather all the necessary evidence and work with our clients to get the best possible results. With over 55 years of combined experience and thousands of cases handled, our team provides quality representation when it’s needed the most.
What Is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is an act of “family violence” that includes physical, sexual, and emotional abuse among family members. In Georgia, marriage is not a requirement in order to be a victim of domestic violence. Additionally, any reasonable discipline administered by a parent to a child in the form of corporal punishment, restraint, or detention does not constitute domestic violence.
Penalties for Domestic Violence Convictions
The penalties for domestic violence vary depending on the exact nature of the crime. Additionally, this charge can be classified as either a misdemeanor or felony depending on the nature of the crime. Prior offenses or a history of domestic violence are considered when determining the severity of the punishment.
Possible penalties include:
- Jail time
- Community service
- Anger-management classes
Additionally, a sentence can include a Family Violence Protective Order, or restraining order.
A Family Violence Protection Order:
- Orders an abuser to leave the victim alone
- Gives the victim possession of the house and forces an abuser to leave the premises
- Orders assistance to help a victim get his or her personal property
- Awards costs and attorney’s fees to either party
- Makes an abuser provide alternate housing for a spouse, former spouse, or parent and children
- Gives the victim temporary custody of shared children and creates temporary visitation rights
- Awards temporary child support and/or spousal support from an abuser
- Sends an abuser to mandatory counseling
- Leads to an abuser’s arrest if he or she breaks the protective order
Armed Robbery Case Dismissed
Theft Case Dismissed
DUI Case Dismissed
Driving Without a License Case Dismissed
Possession of Child Pornography Case Dismissed
Aggravated Battery Not Guilty
Felony Battery Penalty Reduced
Forgery Penalty Reduced
Sexual Assault Case Dismissed
Domestic Violence Case Dismissed